Petr Hvolka: Cycling jacket Kilpi ZAIN-M test
14. 01. 2021
Petr Hvolka, a cyclist and the member of the Kilpi Racing TEAM, has prepared a review of the Kilpi ZAIN-M cycling jacket for you.
Kilpi ZAIN-M cycling jacket test
The subject of my review is my favorite and for a significant part of the sports year used full length zipped jacket Kilpi ZAIN-M, which is available in white and gray on the market.
After many hours cycling and running in a variety of climates from the sunny weather with temperatures around 15° C to the temperatures just above the freezing point as well as the rainy weather, I see three basic characteristics that make Kilpi ZAIN-M in my eyes the TOP product in its category:
- Properties of used materials - SIBERIUM SRC WB. Wind-resistant, quick-drying and breathable material, thanks to which the thermal comfort in colder climatic conditions is ensured during an activity. The high collar, wide elastic hems on the sleeves together with the rubber bottom hem with a silicone anti-slip strip ensure the thermal comfort. It also ensures that the edge parts of the jacket (hems) are always in their place.
- Detachable sleeves - together with the breathable mesh side significantly expand the climatic limits of the comfortable use. Do the temperatures go up during the activity? No problem ... the detachable raglan sleeves are down in a while without the need of unnecessary changing.
- Sufficient number of pockets - as part of long-term activities, it is necessary to have a mobile phone, keys or other small items safely placed as well as the supply of energy needed for sports performance. Three back pockets are complemented by a smaller zip pocket.
Although the Kilpi ZAIN-M jacket is characterized as the cycling item, it found its place in my sports wardrobe some time ago, when I was mainly involved in running. The perfect close-fitting cut without the feeling of grip is given by the elasticity of the materials used, which allows me to focus purely on sports performance without the need for continuous adjustments and inconveniences in the form of rolling sleeves, exposed back, etc. Here all the parts of the jacket stay in their place all the time.
In climatic conditions when the temperatures fluctuate between three and fifteen degrees, my choice is quite clear and I will grab for the ZAIN-M jacket for sure. These temperatures are far from being limiting and the intensity and duration of the activity and especially the type of activity play a big role … I use the term „activity“ intentionally, as I have mentioned above, it certainly has its place and use not only in cycling, running, but also in cross-country skiing or perhaps during a brisk walking or hiking. The jacket can be combined with a wide range of base layers and functional T-shirts. For example, in running I also use it when the temperatures drop below zero, when it is supplemented by one or two lower layers. It can also easily cope with a drizzle or light rain, even with a constant feeling of drought, warmth and comfort.
My most popular and proven combinations of the Kilpi ZAIN-M jacket with other Kilpi products:
- Kilpi FERRY-M - cycling leggings - cold weather, suspenders and raised waist provide an excellent thermal protection
- Kilpi RAINAR-M - men's ultralight jacket – an increased rain protection with an extended back part, which guarantees an excellent back protection
- Kilpi RUNIA-M - leggings for cold weather, which perfectly retains its own heat and at the same time does not allow cold to penetrate from the outside
- Kilpi NETTY-M – a functional mesh top - suitable as an underwear under a T-shirt or jersey
- Kilpi LEAPE-U – a short-sleeved T-shirt - quick-drying material, excellent sweat wicking
- Kilpi NINJA-M – a long-sleeved base layer with a hood - great and a very effective neck and head protection
- Kilpi NEDEL-U - softshell finger gloves – a warm and a windproof material with elastic hem and velcro fastening at the wrist